Monday, June 28, 2010

He Gives and Takes Away


Two weeks ago and a day, life was normal. How is it possible that in one split second everything can change, and our world, as we know it, can be shattered to pieces? That's what happened to me...

Monday, June 14, 2010,

6:00 a.m. - My cell phone alarm went off. I got up careful not wake my friend Janelle who was sleeping on a mattress in my room. I had my Bible reading, showered and ate some breakfast.

7:30 a.m. - Got a trufi (taxis that have a set route and take up to five people) up to downtown La Paz. Met our land lady's sister who gave me a manicure as part of her final exam to be a beautician. When I was done, I gave Elisa a call to join me and walked along the Prado (a main street in downtown La Paz). It was a beautiful crisp fall day. Met up with Elisa outside of Burger King. We went to the "Identifications" building to work on the paper work for renewing our Bolivian ID cards. The next few hours were very frustrating, standing in lines, discovering our birth certificates were no longer valid, trying to get directions to the place where we could get new birth certificates printed out, returning to "Identifications," getting an investigation going for some observations on my paperwork...I confess I did a lot of complaining about Bolivian beauracracy!

2:00 p.m. - Two hungry sisters got a trufi back home. As we stepped in the door, we saw our mother crying on the phone. My heart stopped, and I immediately remembered when we got the news of my grandfather's death. My mom got off the phone and told us that my brother Steven had been missing since the night before. I had something to eat and then walked over to the Rodriguez home to do some babysitting. I told my mom, "If there's bad news, please don't call me. I don't want to upset the kids I will be babysitting."

5:15 p.m. - I got home and was puzzled by all the people at the house. I didn't recognize most of them. My mom came out of the kitchen. She walked up to me and said, "It was bad news, Celina." She put her arms around me, and I immediately began to cry. I somehow knew that my brother was dead. The next few hours were a blur of activity as people poured in to the house to express their condolences. In the midst of it all, I tried to pack as I was told we were leaving for Canada early the next day. By the end of the evening, I didn't want people to leave. I didn't want to be left alone with my pain.

Two Weeks Later - I find myself in Victoria, B.C. The last couple of weeks have been hard, but I am amazed at how God's grace has sustained us. I have felt very blessed by all the people around the world that have been writing to us expressing their sympathy and loving prayer support. It has been good to be surrounded by family and to grieve together. The memorial service, a week ago Saturday, was a special time to remember Steven and let people know what special person he really was!

The grief still comes back in waves, but I am amazed at the joy we are experiencing in the midst of the pain. We are so happy for Steven as we know he is free from all his struggles and pain and is currently enjoying God's presence. We are so excited that one day we will see him again! We do not grieve as those who have no hope (1 Thessalonians 4:13). In the meantime, we miss Steven A LOT! Your continued prayers for me and my family would be greatly appreciated!

p.s. The above picture was taken two years ago on Pender Island during a small family vacation. It's one of my favourite memories with Steven. We went on a few family walks, and he and I always ended up walking and talking together. It was so special to have some grownup conversations with him and get to know him as a young man vs. as a little boy. I thank God for this memory!

4 comments:

  1. Sigo orando fielmente por tí, Celina. Te quiero mucho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a day... and two weeks. It really was a beautiful memorial - so genuine - the pain, the love, the stories of his life. Looking forward to seeing you again soon! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for writing this. You and your family are being prayed for!

    ReplyDelete