Saturday, March 27, 2010

Closing a Chapter, Tour Guide, Small Accident



I spent last week in my hometown--Potosí. My week was full catching up with old friends. One of the things I love about being from a small city is that you are constantly bumping into people you know! It's lovely! Since being back in Bolivia, I hadn't yet been to the city of Sucre to see friends there, so I I also took advantage of being only a couple of hours away to make a quick trip there.

My parents are in the process of selling our home in Potosi, so it was a bittersweet time to enjoy being in our apartment one last time. One of my favourite things about the apartment is the hammock up on the roof, so I spent some time reading up there. I also spent some time sorting through some of our stuff. The selling of our home kind of feels like the closing of a chapter in our lives. I spent almost 18 years of my life in Potosi, and it will always have a special place in my heart!

Early Friday morning, Janelle, Rachael, Katie (Horton) and Matt (Shannon)--four Canadian friends--arrived. For the next two days I greatly enjoyed being a tour guide. Friday's highlight was a trip to the "laguna," a natural pool of hot water in an old volcano crater. My family used to go there every Monday, and there I learnt to swim! Lots of memories!

On Saturday my dad's friend, Wilson, came by and picked us up. He took us to a place where we got all geared up and then headed up the Cerro Rico ("Rich Mountain") to have a tour of one of the many mines. It was quite the intense experience walking through damp narrow tunnels. At one point we really jumped at an explosion, which it turned out came from well below us.

This last week back in La Paz, I have been taking care of Elisa while my parents are in Potosi finalizing things with the sale of the house. I have also been hanging out with a friend visiting from Santa Cruz, and a couple of times we got to hang out with Rachael, Katie and Matt. On Tuesday we went out to Mallasa (on the outskirts of La Paz) and visited the zoo. After that we rented and had fun on three quads. I was riding on the back of a quad, and we were on our way back to the rental place, when all of a sudden we hit a bump. Suddenly I found myself falling backwards and next thing I knew I was on the ground! Kind of embarassing! I just laughed and got back on the quad (my friend who was driving felt pretty bad!) Thankfully I escaped from the incident with only some scrapes and a little sore. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment